Stick it to me! It’s a party on a stick! For months Amanda and I have been trying to convince our friend Heidi to have a big bash for her 50th birthday. I mean, the Big 5-0 only comes around once, thank goodness, so you have to mark the milestone. Surround yourself with people you love and who love you and of course….lots of food and adult beverages!
We finally convinced her and the planning began. Appetizers were decided on so people could mingle, nibble, catch up with old friends and meet new ones, all the while bestowing birthday greetings on the guest of honor.
Now it was time to divide the duties. Delegation is the key to a stress free party as my partners in crime, Amanda and Heidi, were quick to point out. We are a great team! Oh, yes we are! I volunteered to do the food, Amanda was in charge of decorations and
rounding up the most scrumptious cake made by Marina Martin,
along with some Frat House Party Punch concocting on the side.
Jan made great humorous birthday “age signs” that tied in with the yard and landscaping of the beautiful home Chrissy offered for the birthday venue! Are you starting to feel the Fabulous 50th Birthday Party Vibe? Then bring on some food!
Lotsa Pasta! When you need a lot of appetizers in a short amount of time, these Pesto Tortellini Skewers are some of my favorite go to picks. Everyone loves pasta so you’re bound to have a crowd pleaser. Get creative and thread anything you love onto the skewers! It’s a party, so go wild!
4 ingredients! How easy is that?
Cook the tortellini according to the package. Gently…these are delicate little cheesy pasta pockets.
Make sure to drain the tortellini well or the lovely pesto sauce will not stick to the pasta. You don’t want to loose all that flavor on a soggy noodle!
It’s so much easier when you create a tortellini assembly line. Equally important is finding a good assistant. Thanks to my husband David for being the guy!
- 60 cheese tortellini, prepared according to package directions
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 lb Salami
- 20 wooden cocktail skewers
- Small bunch of spinach to lay skewers on
- Combine tortellini with pesto sauce and mix well.
- Cut each tomato into 4 strips.
- Fold each slice of salami in half and in half again.
- Place one tortellini onto a skewer, followed by a piece of salami.
- Add another tortellini and tomato piece, ending with a tortellini.
- Chill until ready to serve. Place a bed of spinach on a platter and lay the tortellini skewers on the spinach bed.